Frequently Asked Questions
The following are questions commonly asked about the Foundation's Scholarship Program.
- Q: How much does it cost to apply for a scholarship?
A: There is no charge to apply.
- Q: Can I apply to more than one scholarship?
A: Yes, you can apply to all the funds for which you are eligible.
- Q: Do I need to pay scholarship money back?
A: Unlike student loans, these are charitable grants that do not need to be repaid.
- Q: If I am awarded a scholarship, do I receive the check?
A: Typically, checks are sent directly to your college or university in your name after July 1 of each year.
- Q: If I receive a scholarship one year, will I automatically receive an award for the following year?
A: Not all scholarships are renewable. If the scholarship you received is renewable, it is your responsibility to contact the Foundation if you plan to re-enroll for the following year. The Foundation typically requires a transcript before considering any renewals. It is important to do this early so that others can receive a scholarship if you do not plan on continuing your studies.
- Q: When will I be notified if I am selected for a scholarship?
A: Scholarship awards are made between May and August depending on the scholarship. If selected you will receive a letter from the Foundation. You will also receive a copy of the letter sent to the college or university with payment.
- Q: What do scholarship funds typically cover?
A: Typically, scholarship funds can be used for tuition, books, fees and other appropriate educational expenses.
- Q: If I want to send a thank you note, where do I send it?
A: The Foundation strongly encourages all scholarship recipients to extend their gratitude to donors who generously provide higher-education scholarship assistance. Address a thank you note to the name of the scholarship you received, and mail it to Martinsville Area Community Foundation P. O. Box 1124 Martinsville, VA 24114.