Determining where one's charitable assets can have the most direct - and lasting - impact can often be a frustrating and time-consuming process. That is why tens of thousands of donors across the country annually choose their local community foundation as their preferred vehicle for philanthropy. Each year billions in new gifts flow into the 700+ U.S. community foundations, taking their collective holdings to over $40 billion.
Community foundations began in 1914 and are publicly-supported, 501(c)(3) philanthropic organizations that hold, administer, invest and make grants from both endowed and non-endowed funds established by individuals, families and others.
(MACF) was established in 2005 and is a publicly-supported, 501(c)(3) philanthropic organization that holds, administers, invests and makes grants from both endowed and non-endowed funds established by individuals, families and others. MACF's service area is the city of Martinsville, Henry County, Patrick County, and surrounding areas. It currently has assets of over $16 million in 34 different endowed funds and also is affiliated with Community Foundation of Western Virginia, which has assets and estate commitments of over $110 million.
To date, MACF has distributed over $5,000,000 in grants to non-profit and charitable organizations and for educational scholarships. It operates under the auspices of a local Board of Directors, whose members are chosen for their knowledge of the community.
Martinsville Area Community Foundation seeks to foster positive change on behalf of the community by:
- Enabling donors to carry out their charitable intent through permanent endowment funds.
- Provides responsible stewardship for entrusted funds.
- Makes creative grants for current and future community needs and opportunities.
- Offers comprehensive services to encourage and advance effective philanthropy.
- Promotes and participates in collaborative efforts to shape a healthy, caring community.